Please consider joining Kimanzi & I on a FREE call to discuss 5 Reasons Why Courting Influencers Is a Diversion From Building Your Business
In this episode, Starve the Doubts host, Jared Easley, interviews Kimanzi Constable from kimanziconstable.com, a writer, speaker, social media expert, a family man, and perhaps the biggest Taylor Swift fan in the world!
From having no college degree to pursuing a lucrative career in writing and speaking… from being overweight to losing a whopping 170 pounds… and finally making that big move (along with his family) from Milwaukee to Maui, Kimanzi certainly knows what starving the doubts looks like.
So here are two good reasons why you need to listen to this show. First, Kimanzi will share his insights into tapping opportunities out of speaking and consulting. Second, you might be wondering why Kimanzi has been co-hosting the show lately. Well, they’ve got a very special announcement for all the Starve the Doubts listeners out there!
In this episode, you will learn more about:
- How to create a paid opportunity to offset something you want to do
- 2 ways of being profitable in speaking
- How to get yourself to speak at events/companies
- Where to find speaking opportunities
- How to increase your chances of getting chosen to speak
- How much are we talking about here? $$$
- The huge opportunity in consulting at companies
- How to approach companies to offer consulting
- Figuring out what problems you can solve
- WHY Kimanzi has become a permanent guest co-host on Starve the Doubts
Creating a paid opportunity
Events like New Media Expo don’t pay you to speak.
2 Ways for Profitable Speaking:
- Speaking at industry association conferences (healthcare, lawyers, etc.)
- Consulting at companies
How to look up industry associations:
- Google the terms you’re looking for
- lanyrd.com – (events that get you paid!)
How to get chosen as speaker at “call for speaker” sites::
- You need to fill up a form and submit it.
- If you’re presentation is compelling enough, they’ll pull you out of there.
How to cut through the crowd of speaker applicants:
- Get the organizer’s email and talk to them directly.
- Express who you are, what you want to talk about, your experience, and what their audience will get from your talk.
How much could you possibly earn?
- Initially earning as low as $50 (this was before he learned negotiating)
- Getting paid $3,500 at a lawyer’s association conference
- Getting invited to speak in Sydney, Australia and getting paid $7,000
- Doing a speaking tour in London, Paris, and Kenya
Kimanzi’s tips to those who want to pursue a speaking career:
- Having crazy, dumb courage
- Believe in yourself! Be confident.
- Start local (where you are).
- Look for those associations and send in your proposal.
- Take the organizers out for coffee, lunch, or dinner but don’t come off as a stalker!
- Check out the local paper and use the Internet for research.
- Go local. Go interstate and eventually, go international!
Consulting at companies
- Companies paid consultants $39.3 billion last year
- You can consult at anything you want (ex. mindset consulting, copywriting, podcasting, etc.)
- Going from company to company
How do you approach these companies:
- Again, start local. Start where you live.
- Look for small to medium companies.
- Know a company’s problem so you would know what to pitch to them.
- Pitch to a decision maker.
- Don’t send cold emails. Talk with somebody.
The right way to do your pitch:
- Give them data.
- Do your research.
- Show how you can help.
- Tell them how much it’s going to cost.
How to figure out what problem you’re going to solve
Why Kimanzi is permanently co-hosting Starve the Doubts
Kimanzi’s final thoughts for the listeners:
“You got to beat doubt. Doubt kept me complacent for 12 years… it was a life of regret.”
“Don’t leave a life of regret. Don’t live a life of complacency. Don’t let doubt win. It’s not going to be something you can beat overnight… but you can manage it and you can beat it and you can be a huge, tremendous success!”