Podcast: Play in new window
In today’s episode, Starve the Doubts host Jared Easley is joined by Jody Maberry from www.parkleaders.com, as they interviewed Sarah Mackenzie.
Sarah is a writer, blogger, podcaster, smitten wife, and a homeschooling mama of six, including twins! Sarah is the author of Teaching From Rest: A Homeschooler’s Guide to Unshakable Peace. Her website, Amongst Lovely Things fosters conversations and encouragement for the cultivated moms.
Her Read-Aloud Revival podcast features inspiring leaders in order to help listeners build their family culture around books. Additionally, her blog site is home to a whole bunch of very helpful content about homeschooling which moms should definitely check out.
In this episode, you will learn about:
- The massive benefits of reading out loud to kids
- The Read Aloud Survival Podcast
- What she learned from doing her own podcast
- Doing it afraid.
- The biggest things coming up for her
- Juggling family and career around
- The three things that made her a better mom
- Preschool vs. Homeschool
- How she got started with blogging and some tips
Teaching From Rest by Sarah Mackenzie
On reading out loud to your kids:
- Parents tend to not read often enough to their kids.
- It forms happy memories.
- It creates strong relationships.
- You get to encounter big ideas that are bigger than anything you’ll encounter.
- You get to meet new characters and the challenges they encounter in the stories.
- The academic benefits are amazing!
On the Read Aloud Revival Podcast
- The more often she read aloud to her kids, the more benefits there were.
- Research shows it improves academic performance and relationship-building.
- She seeks to help families build a culture around books.
On hosting her own podcast
- Listening is key to make it a highly valuable podcast.
- Her challenge on how to become a good interviewer
Her advice to a mom seeing a stream of back to school photos on social media:
- What Sarah learned from Jeff Goins: Do it afraid.
- Her doubts and fears about homeschooling
On starving the doubts:
- Just start and see what happens.
- How the little successes gave her confidence to try new things out
- Take a little step and the energy you get from that will take you to the next baby step.
What else are coming up for Sarah:
- Her eBook being picked up by Classical Academic Press and publishing a printed book
- Traveling across the country to speak at conferences about homeschooling
How she juggles around family and career:
- Hubby support!
- Finding something she’s meant to do gave her all that energy
- Podcasting, blogging, and writing have made her a better mom.
- Make time for the things that give you energy.
Preschool vs. Homeschool
How she got started with blogging and connecting with your audience.
Who is doing something that interests Sarah:
- Todd Henry and his book: Die Empty
Connect with Sarah over www.amongstlovelythings.com
Catch her podcast at www.readaloudrevival.com
Sarah’s final thoughts for the listeners:
“Relationships… that’s the key!”